Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ENGLAND

So I am going to start my backtracking with our trip to England!! Since most of you don't know me well I will give you a little history. I LOVE LOVE LOVE almost all things British. I have had a love affair with english history for nearly 15 years. I will read just about anything that has to do with the English royal families and their history. I know it is kinda nerdy-but I am just facinated by it. So when we were planning our vacation and our timeshare had an opening in Canterbury(just 1hr outside London) we jumped at the chance to go. IT was AMAZING!!!! I loved every single minute of it. We were so lucky to find an awesome deal on plane tickets so we took our kids and I am so glad that we did. They were so good and still talk about all the things we saw to this day. They can't wait to go back to Europe. I think that because Troy and I were excited for all the things we were seeing it really rubbed off on the kids. It will definitely take more than one post to document all the awesome things we saw.



Day ONE-the kids were so awesome on the 12 hours we spent on the plane. They slept almost the whole time-which was so nice. We started our decent into London in the morning and since Troy had already been there he let me have his window seat. We were in a holding pattern to land at Heathrow so we flew down the Thames and back again. I was seriously like a little kid-I could barely sit still as we flew over Big Ben, the Tower and Tower Bridge. It was a beautiful clear and sunny day and I was in Heaven!! We rented a car since we weren't staying in the city and let me tell you what an experience that was. Driving on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the car was interesting to say the least. Troy was a pro by the 2nd day, but we did have lots of adventures as we ended up lost quite a bit :) The GPS was a lifesaver and totally worth the extra money. We drove through London from Heathrow to Greenwich just to see the scenery and then headed down to Canterbury to find our resort. We finally made it to the hotel after dark as we couldn't figure out the address to our hotel and ended up out in the English countryside driving on 1 lane farm roads, but the GPS got us back on track and to the hotel safe and sound. We were of course exhausted but needed a trip to the grocery store, the girl at the hotel gave us awesome directions and off we were to Tesco-the food is very different than here but we managed to find a few things we would all eat :)Sadly I didn't take any pics cause I was just taking it all in.


DAY TWO- DOVER
Today we slept in-we were all exhausted. We decided to take a drive down to Dover and explore the area. We saw the White Cliffs of Dover which were way cool. We then found a cute little English town where we found some lunch. It was Sunday so most places closed early and it was rainy and cold, but we had a great time exploring this area. IT was sooo beautiful! I have never seen any place so green even in December. We went back to the hotel to get enough rest for our 1st day in London.

On the beach on the English channel
it was super windy

English Channel

White Cliffs of Dover


Me and Tanner seeing the Channel for the first time



No comments: